I’ve heard a theory that funny people are generally smarter than the average bear and thus able to find humor where others may not see it. Knowing what I know about myself, however, I think that theory may be 93 to 113% flawed. The other popular theory is that funny people have cultivated their sense of humor as a kind of defense mechanism to help them deal with shortcomings, dysfunction, or other sources of stress in their life. This one makes a little more sense to me.

When I had a job that wasn’t filling that hole deep inside of me somewhere between the cockles of my heart and my spleen, I wrote all the time. I think that was a kind of therapy. I figured I wasn’t happy, so no one else could possibly be either. So I looked extra hard to find stuff that would put a laugh on the lips of myself and others. I still look for and find that stuff, but I’m pretty damned content right now driving airplanes around and seeing all of the cool crap I can cram into my eye holes, so I don’t take the time to sit and write it down unless it really strikes a chord.

Luckily for you, today my inspiration is a strangely pure form of grief. This morning I had to take Queasy to the vet, and I came home alone.

Yeah, I know…I always talked about that filthy beast like she was a pain in my ass, and sometimes she was. But part of being a 35 year old guy who acts like a 12 year old is having the emotional capability of the 12 year old when it comes to certain things.

She hadn’t been right for a month or two, but seemed healthy overall. The past two weeks she stopped eating as much, and then she stopped eating completely before I left town. Sara was gone as well, so neither of us could really do anything about it. I felt guilty as hell knowing that the cat was suffering, and was scared I would come home to a super-wasted-away or dead cat and I’d feel like a total dick for letting it happen like that.

She was okay when I got home – still walking around, purring, and peeing on everything I owned, but not eating. There was even a puddle around a power strip that was on the floor. Knowing that she had tried to commit suicide, I decided to take her to the vet today and see if there was anything they could do (for under $200). Shut up. I know it sounds heartless, but I’m still eating and food costs money.

She’d had a few bouts with illness in the past month or three, and every time I had the same thought – “She’s about 13 years old. How much longer can she really keep kicking?” But this time something told me it was going to be all over.

This morning after Sara left (I didn’t want her to see what a pussy I am), I picked up Queasy’s light frail frame, sat down on the couch, and we petted and purred it out for about 30 minutes. I wondered if she knew what was going on or if she knew all of the ridiculous stories I had written about her and how many people had laughed at her misfortune over the years. I told her that she was a good cat and that I forgive her for shitting on my sweater, peeing in my shoes, and all of the other stuff she had done that made me mad. I’m glad I got to save her from whatever abuse she had suffered before she became my cat, and I apologized for any suffering she endured thereafter.

I’m not a big believer that animals have emotions or know what I’m thinking or understand what I’m saying or any of that. I said goodbye to her because I needed to. She stared at me with her weird flat face and moved her paws around because I was scratching behind her ears.

Finally I packed her into the Rage Cage (TM) (which was not nearly as humorous today) and we went to see the doctor. The doc did a couple of tests and then came back and told me that her kidneys were failing. I then croaked out the words “Well, Queez, I guess this is it for you and me.” and tearfully signed the papers saying that they could go ahead with the execution. Sara told me that they don’t like it when you refer to it as an execution, so I didn’t call it that.

For some reason that I will never understand, I decided to go into the room and pet her while they gave her the shot. Man did that ever suck. It wasn’t like they were going to hang her or anything, but I still thought it might be sort of fucked up and creepy. They said they’d give her the shot and she’d check out in ten or fifteen seconds. I was doing my best not to be a pathetic little bitch at this time, so I just nodded.
She just kept purring. They gave her the shot, she meowed once, and went back to purring, then let out one last sigh and put her head down.

Holy crap, was I ever sad.

Walking out of the vet’s office with an empty rage cage didn’t help much either. Nor did throwing away her food bowl and water dish when I got home. All I know for sure right now is that she’s not in any pain.

But I am.

I’m going to toss a little oxymoron soup in your face and say that it is a good kind of grief; the kind I thought was only understood by Charlie Brown until today. I’m sad, but not angry, guilty, confused, or anything else. Just pure undiluted sad. Sad that the little shit won’t be here anymore when I come home. And it’s the kind of feeling that reminds you that you enjoy your life.

So for all of you who loved reading about Queasy, thanks for caring about her and asking about her and all of that. If there is a heaven, hers has a laser pointer with a little red dot for her to chase and some of those puffy balls that smell like catnip. Plus she can pee wherever she wants to, because Jesus has a Swiffer Wet-Jet.

Here are the entries I could find about her. I’ll write again soon.http://salamitsunami.com/archives/202

Below are the comments submitted before this blog was moved to another server. Any additional comments will post normally.

1. Lynda
I’m sorry for your loss. I have three kitties myself, two of whom are about Queasy’s age. One of those two has diabetes pretty bad. I’ve often asked myself if it would be more humane to put her to sleep than to make her endure two shots a day and countless stressful trips to the vet where she sheds enough hair to create a new coat.
I understand your being sad. And I’ve enjoyed reading your posts about her.

2. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:00 pm Andria
Sorry about your cat. I’m a mostly disgruntled cat owner myself (he’s worth more than my car at this point), but I can’t imagine having to make the decision to put him to sleep.

3. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:12 pm Lyndsay
Right when my husband and I got engaged, my dog died in a similar way to Queasy – really freaking sad.
I realized some time later that maybe she died because I was starting a new life – Weird, I know… but I think it works. (Both the hubs and I started new jobs about that time too… it was like a everything refreshed.)
So, I am really really sorry. Your stories about Queasy are funny, and even though you bagged on her a lot, it is easy to tell that you loved her.
It will get better!

4. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:15 pm buttenober
sorry for your lose Dusty. We had a cat that was put down 2 years ago. My wife had met a rich, cat lover that paid for her last couple of doctors visits, the cost for putting her down and even paid to get her creamated! I think she paid about $800 in total for all the services.
I dont think we will get as lucky with our second cat!

5. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:19 pm Catherine
Oh there is nothing I hate more than a dead pet. I just cried like a little bitch at my desk. I am very sorry about the cat. I am going to go home and give my boys extra love.

6. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:26 pm Cathie
Now that I’m finished bawling my eyes out and hugging my 16-year-old cat, I can say how sorry I am for your loss. She was lucky to get to own you, & I’ll miss your tales about her.

7. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:30 pm David
Man — You made me cry, too. And I’ll go home after work tonight and spend extra time with my almost 12-yr old Lab whose already survived cancer (2x) and getting hit by a car.

8. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:37 pm Jennifer
Aw, you’ve broken my heart today, Dusty, and I’m not even a cat person! So sorry to hear about Queasy. She’s totally in kitty heaven where nobody can shave her fur to look like a lion’s.

9. on 14 Jul 2008 at 1:49 pm UpNort
Dusty,
I’m sorry to hear about Queasy. I had to put my dog down exactly the same way you did. Although going to the vet, I think I knew deep down it was the day.
I still think about him every day, and the sadness will ease with time. Fortunately, I have a one-of-a-kind pencil drawing by you to remember him by.

10. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:00 pm Hed
I’m so sorry to hear about Queasy. I remember how hard it was for me to walk out of the vet’s office once with an empty cat carrier. Its light weight really made me lose it.
It does get easier over time, and it sounds like you handled it the best you could.
-H

11. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:00 pm Karen
Dusty,
Really, none of what any of us say can help to ease what you’ve been through.
I could tell it wasn’t going to be a good post when you didn’t use the code name for your girlfriend.
The Q will always be loved and remembered. You’ll still be finding fuzzies from her for months to come. Those are her little “remember me’s” for you.
It sucks losing a pet.
~Karen

12. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:00 pm Carlo
I just realized sometimes I find myself thinkin about your cat outta nothing,,, I ain’t kiddin’ you,,, havin all these people thinkin about her [and laughin at her stories] is, in its way, something that shows your love for her,,,
I feel for your loss mate,,,

13. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:21 pm Amanda
If I could choose how/when I die, I’d want my best friend to rub my head and comfort me too. Going out purring is the only way.

14. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:23 pm kiff
i’m sorry for your loss. they really do become like family.

15. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:29 pm Jennifer
Ugh…crying at work is not a good thing. I am so sorry; I have two cats and can only imagine how hard it will be for me when the day comes for each of them. They are pains in my rear but I love them and they make me laugh. Thanks for sharing.

16. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:35 pm Robin
I still want to cry whenever I think about being there when my stupid, 12-year-old Persian was put down. Sorry for your loss.

17. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:36 pm Anjil
I too had to tell the vet to kill my cat not long ago. He was 18 years old. Same gig….kidney’s took a crap.
I feel your pain homie.

18. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:37 pm Kim
I’m so sorry about Queasy. It hurts. He’s quite beauteous. We lost our 17 year old Lucky the Black Cat in January. He just essentially died on the floor and I noticed he was deadish when I touched him, plus he was splayed out like a young cat and he’d been pretty much rolled up into a ball of skin and bones for awhile. I love my cat-past and present. We now have Merv the Cat, rescued from the Humane Society. He’s a worthy successor and you’ll find one, too.
Our Lab is 13 and failing and I don’t want to think about going through this again within the same year. It will be exceedingly rough.
Be sad for awhile, it’s helpful. Good luck.

19. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:43 pm Ryan
I was there when our dog had to be put down (cancer); but my cat (the greatest cat ever) was hit by a car while I was on my honeymoon. It is so much better to be there for that last rub/scratch.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
By the way, my cat’s name was “Scootie Puff Junior, Danger Kitty Extrodinare.”

20. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:44 pm Jim C
Dusty,
Well done. Especially well done is your photo of Queasy with the halo. In regards to animals and people, that whole there-one-moment, gone-the-next is something I will never ever get over.
I agree with Amanda — Going out purring is indeed the only way.
Jim

21. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:47 pm Nightmare
This shit must come in threes like celebrities. Not that I’m missing my dog yet, but the choices seem to be limited. I feel your pain man.

22. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:50 pm Susan
Thanks for making me cry at work. Now all of my co-workers know what a pussy I am.

23. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:51 pm Dad
Mom and I cried over this one too. The “Q” peed all over our basement too, and was a walking fur storm (sort of like the character, Pigpen, in Charlie Brown). We still find “Q” fur floating around sometimes. She did make us laugh just by moving – I suppose because that was so unusual. The gift of happiness that a pet can give gives meaning to a life that was otherwise comatose. She defined the concept of chilling out. She has a place in the family memory along with Ocho, Barkley, Rastis, and Barlow. We are sorry for your and Sara’s loss.

24. on 14 Jul 2008 at 2:54 pm Barrett
I’m sorry for your loss, Dusty.

25. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:07 pm bill
Man, I’m sorry to hear that. I went through the same thing a few years ago. If you’re like me, you’ll swear you’re hearing her walk around your house tonight. I spent that first night, waiting for her to jump up on my desk any second. That sucks.
I just knew it was time and I remembered a saying that said “quality of life doesn’t equate to length of life.”
Like my cat, Queasy was a pain in the ass, but she was your little pain in the ass.

26. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:08 pm warcrygirl
I’m so sorry for your loss, Dusty. About 13 years ago my cat Boo Boo Kitty started doing the same thing; she had stopped eating. I had left her in my mother’s care (BIG MISTAKE) and by the time she told me about it a month had gone by. She did everything she could think of to get her to eat, including warming her food in the microwave but not once did she think “Hey, I’d better take her to the vet!” Anyway, long comment short, she had throat cancer and I, too, sat with her when they put her down. Boo Boo went limp immediately after the shot, only instead of leaving this world purring she went with a growl.
Good Kitty.
Love the halo pic, I’m surprised you didn’t put little black ‘x’s over Queasys’ eyes.

27. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:32 pm Susie
Ugh, I’ve been there, what a sad, sad day. I’m glad I’m at home reading this and not at work, cuz I bawled. I had to put Mort the Cat down 4 years ago, and he’s since been replaced with a totally rad kitten, who I still sometimes catch myself referring to as Mort.
So sorry for your loss. I’ve been reading your posts for a few years now (you’re awesome), this is the first time I’ve commented.
It will get better. That’s for sure.

28. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:35 pm genpoco
Ah Dusty, I’m so sorry. Your stories about Queasy were priceless, humorous and we always knew you really loved the cat despite your threats.
When my dog died, my dad made me dig the hole and bury him. No matter how you go about it, it sucks.

29. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:37 pm ashley
so sorry Dust.

30. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:38 pm Ken JP Stuczynski
Shalom Aleichem. I’ll spill some bowl water for your homie.

31. on 14 Jul 2008 at 3:58 pm Backwards Tulsa
I am so sorry for your and the Skirt’s loss.
When I made the decision to put down Sinbad the Cat, I too wanted one last head rub. As I was leaving the death room with his i.d. collar, I met eyes with a young girl holding her cat. I had a new wave of grief looking at them. There’s no telling what that little girl thought, but I hoped she would have as many good times as I had with “Mr.Bad”.
RIP, Queasy.

32. on 14 Jul 2008 at 4:00 pm MBombardier
Putting an animal to sleep sucks. That’s why, if I can possibly help it, I will never own animal again that’s bigger than or engages my affections more than a cockatiel.
Reading this on top of getting fired this morning because I am not a good “fit” for the company (what exactly does that mean, anyway?) was actually a comfort in a weird sort of way. Life goes on.

33. on 14 Jul 2008 at 4:27 pm Mary Ellison
My condolences.

34. on 14 Jul 2008 at 4:43 pm AndyR
Aw, Dusty,
That really sucks. I’ve been crying like a big baby for the last 20 minutes. Glad your site is blocked at work (they would know that I really am crazy!).
I’ve laughed my ass off reading about Queasy over the last few years. We’ll all miss your stories and pictures, but not nearly as much as you will. At least you’ve got good memories, and they will get easier as time goes by.
She’s at peace, and you know in your heart you did the right thing…as tough as it was. Take care. We all love you!

35. on 14 Jul 2008 at 5:01 pm fourthstooge
made me cry again, Dusty….
luv ya man… in a manly way, of course

36. on 14 Jul 2008 at 5:05 pm Ruth
So, so sorry.

37. on 14 Jul 2008 at 5:38 pm kim
Whoa – talk about timing.
I’ve been house/cat sitting since last Thursday for friends who are overseas for another month. This morning I sent their 16 year old cat Fergus off on the Big Sleep due to badly failing kidneys. No matter how much I know it was the right thing to do and that it’s totally what I would want if the situation was reversed and my friends were looking after my cats, I’m feeling totally overwhelmed by sadness and missing a cat I’ve known for most of his life.
And here come the tears again.
Dusty – thanks for sharing Queasy. It really is nice to feel I’m not alone today.

38. on 14 Jul 2008 at 6:40 pm Judd
That sucks dude, I’m sorry that it hurts so much. But then, I’m kind of not. Just know that your pain is felt.
Probably one of the funniest lasting jokes of my trip out there that one New Year’s was your cat doing almost NOTHING else other than sleeping on my travel bag. Even when we put it in that box, remember that? That shit was funny.
Make your woman give you a hug and tell ‘er I said to.

39. on 14 Jul 2008 at 7:51 pm Dusty
You got it, Judd.

40. on 14 Jul 2008 at 8:03 pm Andrea
Hey Dusty, You brought tears to my eyes with this one. It’s amazing how those little shits can work their way into our hearts. My dog is 16, and one of my better long term relationships. A few weeks back I was afraid it was her time. I wondered if from her vantage point I was holding a sickle and had a big ‘ol hoodie on. I could barely speak through the tears as I took her to the vet. Then he reassured me that the lump probably wasn’t cancerous, and the clouds started lifting. Who knows how much life she has left in her. As far as being with Queazy during the euthanizing, perhaps later you will find some comfort in knowing she died easily…in any case, my heart goes out to you. Take care.

41. on 14 Jul 2008 at 8:44 pm Stacy I
My condolences, Dusty.
Ask of the beasts and they will teach you the beauty of this earth… St. Francis of Assisi
S~

42. on 14 Jul 2008 at 10:20 pm Niky
Sorry to hear about Q. I have enjoyed reading about her antics and your rage-filled response to said antics. She will be missed.
Purr it out.
~Niky

43. on 14 Jul 2008 at 11:31 pm Jeffrey
I had to put down Oliver my beloved 14 year old Basset earlier this year and of all the hard tasks that I’ve undertaken in my life, that was absolutely one of the hardest. I think that animals, like close family members, tend to be taken for granted because of the familiarity. We tease, we chide and worst of all we sometimes ignore those closest to us. Only when we have something or someone taken from us suddenly do we ever realize how much the threads of our lives are intertwined. You will miss Queasy, and I will continue to miss Oliver, and that is a good thing. I like going through life knowing that things have mattered to me and that special things and people have left an impression on me that I care enough to miss. I am glad to feel loss. I will leave with a quote from Thomas Campbell “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die”.
It’s been said before but I think that is the most eloquent way it can be said.

44. on 15 Jul 2008 at 1:36 am Psychocat
Sorry to hear about sweet little Queasy, Dusty. Your stories about her were really enjoyable, and I know you really loved the little fuzzbucket. My hubby and I have lost two of our Siamese in the last two years – both to cancer. Monkey was 15, and Romeo was only 12. Broke my heart both times, and it still hurts. With Romeo, I think Hubby was hit even harder, since that cat was his furry little shadow. Still, we wouldn’t have missed having those crazy furballs in our lives for anything! My heart goes out to you both.

45. on 15 Jul 2008 at 1:39 am TLee007
You made me choke up, ya bastard!! Not many can do that.
My sister’s chinchilla passed recently, so I know how sad it is to watch a critter that one considers a family member to slowly move to the big sleep.
I want ya to know Dusty, that no matter how bad it gets, nor how bad it seems, that there’s no better comfort than knowing that you gave that furball the best life that you could. That speaks volumes about you and your value as a human being.
For what it’s worth, and I know it prolly doesn’t seem like much, but she’s at peace now. I say continue to mourn her loss, and when ya get ready, go get a hamster or some shit.
Better yet, get a rat. That way, when the crappy neighbors start bothering you, you can let the rat run through their place, giving them a good scare.
Just a thought to keep ya thinking.
Ugh, I miss her too man, and I never met her.
TLee007

46. on 15 Jul 2008 at 3:20 am ali
Ouch, that’s real pain in the chest stuff. And not due to eating too many donuts for breakfast. My sister’s cat keeps beating my dog up, we are not cat ‘people’; she whimpers on the sofa when he kicks her out of the kitchen. But even she would be saddened by this story.
Keep good memories.

47. on 15 Jul 2008 at 3:36 am Julia
Thanks for sharing. My two beastly cats are circling my ankles wanting kibble right now; as much as we ‘hate’ them we love them to death too and feel your pain.
Thanks for the awesome stories – I always keep coming back over the years.

48. on 15 Jul 2008 at 4:29 am Maria
I am sorry. Truly sorry. I was teary at the entry, but your dad’s comment put me over the edge. I don’t know if you have ever seen this, but it brought me a lot of comfort. The “vigor” part probably doesn’t apply to “Q”, but you get the idea…

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….
Author unknown…

49. on 15 Jul 2008 at 4:48 am anne
The grief is just so deep but so is the love and, in the end, it is the only thing that matters.

50. on 15 Jul 2008 at 4:51 am Becky from Canada
I’ve been lurking at your site for a few months now and I am a big fan. So sorry for your loss, been there. Your stories about Queasy were the best and made me like your site so much more, I guess you can tell I’m an animal person. Again, I’m sorry for your pain. Thanks for the stories.

51. on 15 Jul 2008 at 6:13 am Dree
R.I.P. Queasy

52. on 15 Jul 2008 at 6:31 am bishop
so, so sorry for your loss. whether it’s two legs or four legs, any loss of a family member is rough. at least you were there with her til the end. you did what you could. and at least you had her and will always have memories of her. rather that than nothing.

53. on 15 Jul 2008 at 6:51 am Aaron
Sorry, Dude. I heard once that getting a pet is like purchasing a small tragedy, and I’ve found that this is pretty much true.

54. on 15 Jul 2008 at 7:45 am Brett D

Dusty, Kim, I guess we’re all in the same shit soup at this particular moment -and as trite as I’m sure it sounds, there is solace in numbers.
I made the same call Sunday morning for my friend and companion of 16 years, a seal point Hymalayan named Michellozzo. Mike’s kidneys failed him too about nine months ago, and I’m convinced it was precipitated by a dental problem that I thought we could take our time getting taken care of. As with people, dental problems in cats can have spillover effects on kidney and heart health, and the have a tendency to go from anoying to life-threatening REAL fast. My grief was compounded by the fact that I’ve spent the past few months administering subcutaneous fluids to keep his blood from getting too toxic and make him a better candidate for oral surgery -a procedure that could have given him a good two or three more years to exploit the security deposit on my aparment. If anyone reading this has been putting off getting your pet’s teeth cleaned, please get on it, even if you think they don’t need it.

I’ve followed your writings here and on the Pork Tornado, and I’ve enjoyed your stories about Queasy immensely. Enjoyed them, because I felt every word, and I shared so many of the same goofy, hilarious, and (though I have a hard time finding the same frustration about them today) sometimes infuriating experiences with my own companion. And while Mike and I shared a similarly “un-pussified”, male bonding kind of mutual comeraderie, I’m not ashamed to say I cried like a three-year old when I got home Sunday morning and held my dog. The pain is every bit as real as a kick in the groin.
I wish you and Sara every comfort as you come to terms with your loss.

20 Responses to “Right now I kinda’ wish she had 10 lives.”

1. on 15 Jul 2008 at 11:59 am nomatophobia

It kinda makes one appreciate the times my boy, El Wray, jumps on the headboard at 3am, making it slam shut on my face. The little bastards squirm into your heart tubes, like the kids who beat the shit out of you in school and later become your best friends. Nothing really helps at this point, but I’m still sorry for your loss. She made a lot of people happy, and we didn’t even know her personally.

2. on 15 Jul 2008 at 12:45 pm Karen

Of all the kind things a good person does for the pets that share their lives, the kindest is to bear the pain so the animals don’t have to.

3. on 15 Jul 2008 at 2:59 pm The Jenna

This blinking cursor has been mocking me for ten minutes… all I can get out is:

I’m sorry. That effing sucks. I’m so sorry, Dusty.

4. on 15 Jul 2008 at 3:10 pm Samantha

oh Dusty, I’m soooo sorry. I never even met her, but I’ll miss her – my mind still goes back to the story of her and your vaccuum everytime I need a laugh.

Hugs for you.

5. on 16 Jul 2008 at 6:16 am Melissa

So sorry for your loss. Props to you for giving her another chance and a comfy home, and for being there when Queasy needed you there the most.

6. on 16 Jul 2008 at 8:06 am Nathan

Stop being such a pussy.

7. on 16 Jul 2008 at 8:49 am Jill

Damn. Sorry. It sucks being a grown up.

8. on 16 Jul 2008 at 12:35 pm Byn

I’m sorry you lost Queasy. She was a cute little thing. Makes you think…

My cat is only a year and a half old, so we’re not even close to that point.
    I hope it feels better.
    I find chocolate makes everything feel okay.

9. on 16 Jul 2008 at 12:42 pm nogoodadddy

Sorry about that, dude. Our 2 cats are getting older and despite my hatred for both of them, when the day comes that I not only have to drive them off to the chamber but then explain to the kid why Nipsey or Peebo isn’t coming home, it will be rough.

10. on 16 Jul 2008 at 7:52 pm Anna

So sorry to hear about Queasy, Dusty…my kitty is even older and every time some little thing happens, I think “Oh my God, is this it? Is this where I loose him? We’ll miss the stories she inspired, but you’re right…at least she’s not in pain…RAGE ON, QUEASY!!!

11. on 16 Jul 2008 at 7:56 pm Steve P.

That was one terrifically ugly cat.

12. on 16 Jul 2008 at 8:03 pm Stef

Hey Dusty,
    I know it’s been a while since I posted but I promise I always read and mostly laugh (when I’m not gasping for air between laughing fits). I just wanted to say I know *exactly* what you just went through and as much as you hate being a pussy about it, maybe that’s just Queasy’s legacy for you — part man, part pussy. I had to put down my 18 year old tabby in 2003 and the experience you described (being there during the shot) was pretty much exactly what I did, too.. and yeah, it sucks the most.. but I promise it made her feel better at the end to smell her person and feel your hand on her. You’re a good man. I don’t care what the police reports say.
    Stef from Chicago

13. on 17 Jul 2008 at 1:20 am TLee007

Dusty, she knows about the police report? Dude, you didn’t show her the pics too did ya? 😛

Just yankin’ your chain man. Trying to help bring some levity to this post.

Trent

14. on 17 Jul 2008 at 8:54 am Scott in the NWT Canada

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss Dusty. I’ve been reading you for a couple of years now and I feel like you’re a friend because that’s how you write. Last week my wife and I took our kids on a trip and while we were gone our house/cat/dog sitter called to say that our cat had somehow gotten out on her and was missing. My Chelsea is not an outdoor cat and has never been outside longer than a few seconds in her life outside of the cat cage. To compound on this, the area we live in is very close to the edge of town and is basically wilderness and thus is frequented by foxes, wolves and sometimes bears so you can imagine what I figured had happened when three days passed without my cat coming home. Fortunately my story had a happy ending, Chelsea showed up on the doorstop 6 days after being gone and she was fine, not a scratch. I can’t say how I was feeling when I thought she was gone, but since Chelsea sleeps with me, sits and watches tv with me and basically spends the rest of her time avoiding my two 3 year olds, I felt like a huge hole had formed in my heart and when I saw her I held her for an hour. Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of Queasy. You were with him when he died and that’s the best thing any of us can do.

15. on 17 Jul 2008 at 12:47 pm Countessa

I was crying my guts out until I got to “Jesus has a Swiffer Wet-Jet”. Then I was choking on my own snot, laughing.

We also have a cat in chronic renal failure but so far so good. I look at it like you did about Queasy – the life she has now (even being ill) is infinitely better than the life she would have had 8 years ago had I left her, abandoned and starving.

16. on 18 Jul 2008 at 8:06 am SnowCat

I know we haven’t spoken in a few years, and it’s been a while since I visited here, but something drew me in today. I’m so sorry, Dusty. I know it’s really rough and you’ll miss her. But she knew you loved her and were there with her at the end.

17. on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:44 pm ChicagoJo

I’m sorry to hear about Queasy. She was a mighty fine cat who was fortunate to have your shoes to pee on. May she do that weird swimming thing when kitty heaven’s pooper-scoopers scratch her.

18. on 19 Jul 2008 at 12:26 am Asmith80

Definitely teared up at that… My dog is having similar problems we have to take her to the vet soon… She’s around the same age… We don’t know her exact age cause we found her digging around in a dumpster maybe 12 years ago? I may go bawl my eyes out now… She was such a beautiful kitty that Queasy was…

19. on 19 Jul 2008 at 2:03 am Kitty

Hey Dusty,
    Been reading from the very beginning. Your stories about Queasy made me get over my nerdliness and share my blog reading with my friends. They made me laugh, and now they’re making me cry. I have a 9 year old puppy and I’m going to lose my shit if I have to go through what you are right now.
    My best wishes and prayers are with you
    and yes, she understood why you did what you did, and she knew she was blessed to be rescued by you, vacuum attacks nonwithstanding
    Take care darling
    Will look forward (as always, since the very beginning, which makes me feel both nerdly and old) to hearing more about your stuff.
    Congrats on the woman catching, we try to make that stuff hard for you guys 🙂

20. on 19 Jul 2008 at 12:08 pm Ashley

Dusty, I’m so sorry about Queasy… I love your writing and today was no different, I’m still wiping my eyes.

We just lost both our cats around a month ago to some wildcat, and while I’d only been with them a year, it still sucks. I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling.. but I hope it gets better for you. I wish you and Sara the best!